CHURCHES - MONASTERIES
Near the small port of Naoussa, is the cathedral temple of Saint John dated back to the 16th century. In the interior are saved the graves of the last duke of Paro's Bernard Sagrento and of the pirate August Grevelier. In 1770, when the Russians took over Paros, the temple was destroyed. It was fixed some years later but suffered a lot through the years and remained half ruined until 1980 when it was mended after the decision of the Archbishopric. It worths to visit and admire the vivid interior decoration.
The church of Trinity is located in the village Lefkes.It was built in the beginnings of the 18th century. Distinguishes for its particular architecture. It's considered one of the most important marblesculptured monuments in the island. Belltowers of marble, pulpit, floors, interior pillars, all made of white marble from Paros.
THE MONASTERY OF SAINT ANTONIO
It is located in Marpissa, the hill of Kefalos. It was built at the end of the 15th century. At the end of the 18th century was under the protection of the archon of Vlachia, Nicolas Mavrogenis.
The rich interior impresses the visitor. The mural representing the Second Advent distinguishes and is dated from the 16th century. The carven temple of the monastery is really remarkable.
THE MONASTERY OF THE DORMATION OF PANAGIA OR SAINT MONASTERY
The monastery is located in Marpissa and dated from the 17th century. The locals call it the Saint Monastery. In the interior you will see remarkable murals, while the monks' cells are in good condition.
THE MONASTERY OF PANAGIA MIRTIDIOTISSA
The monastery of Panagia Mirtidiotissa is in Parikia, in location Thapsana. The date of its construction stays unknown. It was renovated in 1670 and 1936.
THE MONASTERY OF SAINT JOHN THE THEOLOGIST
The monastery of Saint John the Theologist is dated from the 17th century and is located in Apati, in village Lefkes. In documents of the 18th century is mentioned as monastery Apati, because of its location. It worths to visit and see the remarkable murals and icons.
THE MONASTERY OF SAINT ATHANASIOS
The monastery of Saint Athanasios is located in Naoussa. It was built in the 17th century and looks like a castlemonastery. In the middle of the 17th century turned into a catholic school by Kapoutsinos' Rite.But at the end of the 18th century became orthodox once again.
THE MONASTERY OF THE DORMATION OF PANAGIA
It is one of the oldest monasteries in Paros. It is dated from the 16th century and it's located on the hill of Kefalos, in village Marpissa. There are murals in its interior. During the 16th century was part of the monastery of Saint John Theologo in Patmo.
THE MONASTERY OF LOGOVARDA
It is located on the road that leads from Parikia to Naoussa, in village Logovarda. It was built in the 17th century and combines the architecture of fortresses with the tradition of Cyclades islands.
It has two churches, that of Saint Samson and of Zoodochos Pigis. It flourished during the 19th century. Its monks distinguished for their charity work. In World War Two the monastery was the ideal place to hide for the residents of Paros. Today it has a lot of visitors wanting to learn about its history and admire the excellent architecture and sacred heirlooms.
THE MONASTERY OF SAINT JOHN LAGADA
The monastery of Saint John was built in the16th century. It is located on the top of a hill southwest of village Marpissa. It is the monastery that Saint Arsenios, the island's local saint stayed as a pillar. The monastery that experienced times of gloom was abandoned in the 50's. It was repaired in 1994 and it's open since then.
THE MONASTERY OF SAINT JOHN PRODROMO
It is located in the northwest side of the island. It was built in the 16th century. Its architecture follows the tradition of Cyclades islands. In the interior you will see remarkable murals from the time it was constructed.