Kea has a long history to show, during which, met periods of bloom and decline. It was an important center of cycladitic civilization.
According to greek mythology in Kea lived Aristeos, Apollo and Krinis’ son, who saved the island from draining by seeing that it blow during summer. That’s why Kea was considered since ancient times the home of north winds, meltemia.
The island was named after hero Keo, who came to the island in the beginnings of the 11th century BC.
Kea was inhabited since neolithic times, as it seems from the findings in Kefala.
Traces of inhabitation since prehistoric Age are found in the cove of Agia Irini and in Voukari village.
Around 1000BC Ions came to the island. The towns of Ioulida, Karthea, Korissia and Piiessa were established at that time.
Kea, as all Cyclades islands, became part of the Athenian Alliance and fought against Persians.
In ancient times Kea was known for the “Keion nomimo” a strange custom, according to which, everyone passing 70 years, committed suicide by drinking hemlock.
From the times of Roman domain and then starts a decline period.
During the 13th century the island is conquered by venetians. It suffered a lot of pirate invasions and catastrophes. Ioulida was built then and the Venetian castle, to protect residents.
Denomination Tzia is frankish and was left from the period of Frankish possession.
In 1537 Turkish conquer Kea. It met a lot of catastrophes especially during the period of the Russian-Turkish war.
Kea took part in the Revolution of 1821. It was adjusted in Greece in 1830.
Since then it follows a common historic route with the rest of Greece.