First inhabitants of the island it may be Kares, while they followed by the Phoenicians, Cretians, Iones. It was conquered by the Venetians, vandalised by Barbarossa and occupied by the Turks. From 1770-1774 was under the domination of the Russians. In 18th century it has been financially developed mainly due to the flourishing of maritime commerce. It took active part in the Revolution of 1821 with Manto Mavroghenous.
The cosmopolitan Mykonos, one of the most wonderful islands of Cyclades, is extended in an area of 88 sq.km. and it is in a distance of 94 n.m. (about 6 hours) from Piraeus.
Low stony hills and enchanting seasides characterize the natural landscape of the island, while the city of Mykonos and the around villages impress with the marvellous group of the white houses, the stone-paved narrow streets, the innumerable chapels with the blue and red domes, the windmills and the dove-cots.
The picturesque harbour of Mykonos, in front of Hora by the sea, with the fishing boats and the luxurious yaghts, is spread flat wide in opposition with the most villages of the Aegean sea.
The marvellous capital Hora, built in flat land, is a characteristical style of cycladic architecture with its small white houses connected among each other by innumerable coloured small narrow streets where the only trasportation means are frequently the donkeys.
In Hora you can see the building of the Town Hall with the red tile-roofing, a work of 18th century.
Near the Town Hall it is located the Archaeological Museum, a neo-classical building of 1901. Most of its exhibits are from the nearby island Rinia which in the antiquity was a necropolis.
Behind the Town Hall there is the oldest settlement of Hora, Kastro (Castle), its name being after the medieval castle located there. South of the settlement of Kastro there are to be seen picturesque white windmills. In the settlement of Kastro there is the church Paraportiani, the Popular Art Museum and several other old churches as Aghia Moni, St.Heleni, St. Demetrios.
Panaghia Paraportiani is a group of five smaller churches built in deffirent time periods in two different levels. It is called Paraportiani because it is situated near the small gate (paraporti) of the wall of the medieval castle of Mykonos.
In the settlement Matoyanni it is to be found the Maritime Museum of Aegean, Tria Pigadia (Three Wells) of which till 1956 the city was supplied with water as well as the Municipal Art Gallery.
The Maritime Museum of Aegean is housed in a traditional cycladic building of the 19th century and includes models of ships, marine documents and instruments, maps, tools, rare ancient coins with marine configurations, while in the garden there are marble copies of columns with inscriptions of Delos and Mykonos.
Next to the Maritime Museum it is Lena’s House, a beautiful independent house, representative of the urban class of the 19th century with remarkable furniture and decoration of that period.
The settlement Alefkantra-Skarpa is the "Venice" of Mykonos. The houses are built right on the sea with wooden balcons. They have been built since the middle of the 18th century and thereafter owned by rich merchants and captains. In this settlement there is also the catholic church and next to it the orthodox Cathedral, Panaghia Theotokos Pigadiotissa.
The Municipal Library in the centre of Hora is housed in an old mansion of 1735 and includes about 6000 volumes of history, literature, travelling through subjects and significant photographic records.
In almost the middle of the island it is situated the village Ano Mera, 8,5 km. from Hora. You can visit the hill of Palaeokastro and the homonym monastery of the 17th century.
A little southern it is the monastery of Panaghia Tourliani, of the 16th century, protector of Mykonos, with marvellous wooden sculptured temple made in Florence. In the museum of the monastery they are kept significant ecclessiastical relics.
Every year, on the first Saturday of the Lent the icon is transferred with great escorting through the city, to the church of St. Kyriaki for worshiping and is returned back on Saturday of Lazarus.
In the southern part of the island, more touristically developed, it is the settlement Ornos and the world wide famous beaches of Mykonos Paradise and Super Paradise.
In the northern part of the island you will meet the village Tourlos with the homonym bay and marvellous beaches.
Following the road you will meet the bay St. Stefanos named after the church located there.
In the north-eastern direction it is the beach Ftelia ideal for surfing.