MONASTRY OF EVAGELISTRIA
The monastery of Evagelistria is located 4km north of the town. It was built in 1794 and has enormous historic importance for Skiathos as here was made and blessed the first Greek flag with the white cross in blue background. It is the place where in 1807 Philics Theodore Kolokotronis, Giannis Stathas and Nikotsaras took an oath.
The monastery is of great religious interest. In the small museum inside you will see rare ecclesiastic heirlooms, byzantine icons, books and manuscripts. Really impressive is the wooden chancel screen with fine drawings.
If you happen to be there on August 15th follow the Sepulchral of Panagia. It is a custom known only in Skiathos.
MONASTERY OF PANAGIA KOUNISTRA
The Monastery of Panagia Kounistra is 8km from the town. It was built during the 17th century and it is dedicated to Esodia of Theotokos. According to tradition, the icon of Panagia was found hanging on a moving pine. That’s where it took its name. Panagia Kounistra is the protector saint of Skiathos. The homonym icon is in the metropolitan church. Every year on November 21st is organized a big festival. Every pilgrim is impressed by the wooden gilded chancel screen and the murals from two different historic periods.
MONASTERY OF SAINT JOHN
The monastery of Saint John or Krifo (secret), as it is else known, was built in 1726 in the back side of Kounistras’ mountain, in a green location. It is called “Krifo”, because during the period of the Turkish Rule inside the monastery operated a secret school.
MONASTERY OF SAINT HARALAMBOUS
In the north part of Chora, 5km from the center is the monastery of Saint Haralambous. The exact date of its construction stays unknown. What is known is that it was renovated in 1809, while the chancel screen and the icons are dated from 1822. The gazetteer Alexander Moraitis spent the last years of his life in this monastery.
MONASTERY OF PANAGIA KEHRIA
The monastery of Panagia Kehria is built on a bulk, right above the homonym cove. It is located in the northwest part of the island, 8km from the town of Skiathos. It was built during the 18th century. It is an isolated monastery, worth to be visited for the ecclesiastic heirlooms and the glorious view it has.